Agilex Crystal Ball: Fragrance Trends 2016
Fragrance Trends of 2016 are a reflection of human nature and its most basic desire for self-expression and primal need to color this expression with the compelling forces of Mother Nature.
The over-connected world of around-the-clock communication continues to expand, fueling the consumers’ yearning to unplug, slow down and return to life’s simple pleasures. The fragrance trends of 2016 echo this intrinsic movement to embrace the “natural” and incorporate its ethereal yet grounding, gentle yet dynamic influences in one’s fragrance wardrobe. The consumers’ search for authenticity has driven demand for products that exhibit organic, unrefined qualities and contain ingredients that mirror the pure, raw, native and vitalizing character of land, sea, fire and sky.
Airwaves: Serene, Effervescent, Ethereal, Limitless
Natural Element: Air
Air is the incarnation of thoughts, imagination, dreams and desires. Although invisible in nature, it can be deeply felt by all the senses. Boundless in character, it can combine effortlessly with elements around it to create unique and surprising blends.
Consumers drawn to the serenity, freedom, vastness and unlimited possibilities exhibited by the element of air have inspired the following trends:
- An air of pared down elegance and modern refinement intertwined with a hint of boldness creates an overall dream-like quality, evoking contemporary romanticism.
- Dreamy pastels intermingle with a touch of black. The pastel tones soften the black, while the black adds an otherworldly edge.
- Ethereal, free-flowing fabrics, such as chiffons and silks, feature soft floral prints.
- Effervescent pink drinks sparkle in glassware.
- Classic delicacies are updated highlighting delicately sweet sorbets and light, airy meringues and puff pastries.
The Notes: Sweet, Soft, Sparkling & Surprising
- Sorbet – light, sparkling sorbets add an air of delicate sweetness.
- Cashew Apple – A fusion of fruity notes with subtle dustings of nutty nuances creates a surprising olfactive experience. Such unique blends trending in 2016 satisfy consumers’ desire to break fragrance preconceptions and embrace new and unique combinations.
Sea Worthy: Gentle, Restorative, Cleansing, Hopeful
Natural Element: Water
Water is the symbol of optimism, restoration and gentle power. Its fluidity allows it to break down barriers, define its own space and generate healing. Its depth creates an aura of mystery where buried treasures await discovery.
Consumers craving a fresh semblance of hope, well-being and other long lost treasures inherent of the sea have inspired the following trends:
- Consumers will continue to favor an environment of simplicity, drawing inspiration from the organic world and invaluable treasures, shapes, textures and graphics of the sea.
- Natural materials with gentle irregularities offer comfort and authenticity, moving towards a world where true perfection is in imperfection.
- Pearlescent and iridescent highlights reminiscent of shimmering shells influence tableware and accessories, evoking memories of precious beach finds.
- Indigo and ultramarine pigments make an impact.
- Sea Salt – This popular culinary ingredient adds oceanic authenticity to marine and ozone fragrances and a unique twist to other scents. Sea Salt beautifully captures the “clean and fresh” feeling still so popular with consumers.
- Freesia – This subtle blend of floral and citrusy nuances blossoms in floral accords to create a delicate yet distinctive note.
Landscapes: Grounding, Raw, Primitive, Earthy
Natural Element: Earth
The earth is the physical manifestation and grounding force from which all elements are founded. Its raw, organic, often untamed character encompasses the vastness of air, fluidity of water and the spirit of fire, while remaining true to its primitive foundation. Its landscapes are a mosaic of history and authenticity.
Consumers longing to establish a sense of “roots” and explore the treasure trove of the earth have inspired the following trends:
- A love and admiration for untouched and untainted lands, including the bohemian landscape of an idealized desert and the barely tamed materials it contains, is formidable.
- There is an expanding need to commune with nature and explore earth’s treasures, collecting fossils, amber and other semi-precious stones.
- Quality and meaning is the consumers’ idea of luxury. They feel pride in discovering true craftsmen when choosing their furniture, food and clothing.
- Consumers are drawn to objects which possess a sense of history and come with a story all their own.
- Touches of copper through the home are strikingly beautiful.
- Amber – This earthy accord provides a soft, sensual aroma and imparts a feeling of organic richness and season-less comfort and appeal.
- Praline – This gourmand confection adds depth and a blankety sweetness to 2016 fragrances.
Fired-Up: Passionate, Adventurous, Spicy, Creative
Natural Element: Fire
Fire is the expression of passion in motion. Its transformative and provocative nature stirs emotions, sparks creativity and encourages thinking outside the box.
Consumers yearning to escape the confines of routine and fully experience the adventurous spirit embodied by fire have inspired the following trends:
- Influences from Buenos Aires, Santiago, Sao Paulo and Panama City add color and spark to the environment of consumers looking to add more of the “exotic” to their everyday lives.
- Styles and flavors of sunny destinations evoking passion and optimism draw in consumers.
- The spirited fusion of exotic materials and daring style provides a complex and exciting visual impact.
- Fearlessly mixed patterns and colors pay tribute to the nomadic lifestyle, which values discovery.
- Calamondin – Representative of the new wave of hybrid citrus fruits, calamondin offers an interesting olfactive departure from standard orange and lemon and offers a sense of upscale uniqueness within the citrus family.
- Citrus Notes – Vibrant citrus notes evoke a feeling of energetic freshness and provide a sparkling top note to entice consumers.
In Their Element
In the coming year, consumers will be looking to reconnect with nature in profound ways and bring the elements of the natural world into their daily lives. Fragrance Trends of 2016 echo this deep desire, and reflect a consumer base embracing the feeling of being “in their element.”