Ideas and Inspiration >> Summer 2016 >> Endless Summer
Fragrance trends of Summer 2016 reflect consumers’ deep desire to quiet their minds and ground themselves in the peace, tranquility and simplicity of the natural world.
The consumers’ need to realign with nature and bring a greater sense of authentic “earthiness” to their lives has driven demand for products that exhibit raw, unrefined qualities and contain ingredients which mirror the pure and primitive character of the natural world.
The earth is the physical manifestation and stabilizing force from which all elements are founded and from which consumers draw their sense of connectedness. Its organic, often untamed, character synthesizes all of the atmospheric components and seasonal sensations creating the historical landscape of our lives, both literally and metaphorically. Its warmth sustains and balances us, giving us a sense of an endless summer.
Consumers long to bring the spirit of an endless summer to their lives and explore the treasure trove of the earth, which have generated the following trends:
- A love and admiration for untouched and untainted lands, including the bohemian landscape of an idealized desert and the barely tamed materials it contains.
- There is an expanding need to commune with nature and explore earth’s treasures, collecting fossils, amber and other semi-precious stones.
- Quality and meaning is the consumers’ idea of luxury. They feel pride in discovering true craftsmen when choosing furniture, food and clothing.
- Consumers are drawn to objects which possess a sense of history and come with a story all their own.
- Touches of copper are being used throughout the home because they are strikingly beautiful.
- Earthy fragrance accords containing amber are being infused into fragrances to provide a soft, sensual aroma and impart a feeling of organic richness and season-less comfort and appeal.
- Gourmand notes like praline are also in demand for the depth and blankety sweetness they add to fragrances.
As consumers’ lives become more and more buried in synthetics and simulation, they are returning to more stable ground where they can restore balance and their connection with nature.
Fragrance marketers who wish to connect with their consumers would benefit from creating products possessing a natural, earth-inspired foundation.